Add items of interest to your free trip planner and map - print off or send to a friend
Ceres a small ancient village 7 miles from St Andrews, it has a long history. In recognition of the part played by the men of Ceres at the battle of Bannockburn in 1314 the village was granted an annual fair which is still held each year in June, 'The oldest free games in Scotland.' .
Ceres is one of the most historic and picturesque villages in Scotland and one of the few Scottish villages to have a village green. Its most memorable feature at the Cross, is the 19th century statue of "The Provost" Rev. Thomas Buchanan, minister of Ceres from 1578 - 99 which is in the form of a toby jug.
The village of Ceres is dominated by the Parish Church. In a prominent position by the village green is the Bannockburn Memorial commemorating the men of Ceres who fought under the Earl Marshall of Scotland from Struthers Castle on Midsummer's Day 1314. It was erected on the six hundredth anniversary of the battle, in 1914.
Griselda Hill Pottery in Ceres was founded in 1985 to revive the production of the famous and highly collectable Wemyss Ware. The pottery continues the traditional production of the typical hand painted cats, pigs and giftware. The Visitor Centre offers views of painters and potters at work and an insight into the history of this famous Scottish pottery.
Fife Folk Museum, in the old High Street of Ceres, has something for everyone, cottage interiors and tools of lost trades. There are also fine linens and costumes as well as agricultural implements.
Ceres Village Heritage Trail. This excellent trail guide, from local shops, will take you round the ancient village of Ceres, full of history with buildings and places of interest galore. The guide has a clear pictorial map of the village, pointing out 20 separate places of interest on the trail. Allow 45 - 60 min for this 1 km (3/4 mile) walk.